Santău - The Roman Catholic Church of “St. Ignatius Loyola”

Available in:
The church of Santău became Protestant during the 16th century, and later, due to the Ottoman raids, the village was deserted. The Roman Catholic community was settled here by the local nobles, the Becsky of Santău family. Ignatius Becsky built a chapel in 1809, and this initiative determined a few families to return to Catholicism, in 1817. Building the new church began in 23rd of May 1831. Six years later, on 31st of July 1837, the church was consecrated, being dedicated to St. Ignatius of Loyola by the Bishop of Oradea, Ferenc Lajcsak. The main façade of the church has three segments, the tower being built in front of it. The pilasters on the façade have Doric capitals on the ground level, while on the upper levels the capitals are Corinthic and Ionic. The levles are delimitated by richly decorated cornices. The tower is provided with a clock and has a simple roof. Inside the church, on the main altar the tabernacle is decorated by two praying angels and a tympanum with four Ionic pillars. Above the altar St Ignatius of Loyola is represented surrounded by angels. It was painted in the 19th century. (TSz).


Navigation


County Museum of Satu Mare
Bd. Vasile Lucaciu, Nr. 21
440031, Satu Mare
România
Tel.:0261-737526
Fax.:0261-768761
Email:muzeusm@gmail.com

Complete Details
Finanţator
Sigla UE
Pentru informaţii despre celelalte programe finanţate de Uniunea Europeană în România, cât şi pentru informaţii detaliate privind statutul de membru al României la Uniunea Europeană, vă invităm să vizitaţi adresa web a Reprezentanţei Comisiei Europene în România
Acest site web nu reprezintă în mod necesar poziţia oficială a Comisiei Europene. Întreaga răspundere asupra corectitudinii şi coerenţei informaţiilor prezentate revine iniţiatorilor site-ului web.